Sunday, June 8, 2008

Book Review: You are Special

You are Special. By Max Lucado

Max Lucado has created a world of Wemmicks (little wooden people) and this story is about a character called Punchinello. Wemmicks give one another stars if they have done something good or are something good (like being pretty). If they do something that they consider bad (like being clumsy or having chipped paint) then they give each other grey dots. Poor Punchinello was always getting grey dots because he wasn’t seen as good enough by the other Wemmicks. This story really connects with me because I often care too much about what others think and I fear for Matt that he will grow up feeling not good enough because he is not the same as “normal” children. I cry every time I read how Punchinello’s understanding of himself changes when he meets the carpenter who made him – Eli. He tells Punchinello: “All that matters is what I think. And I think you are pretty special…because you are mine.” He also tells Punchinello why the Wemmicks’ stickers don’t stick on another character called Lucia, Eli explains “Because she has decided that what I think is more important than what others think. The stickers only stick if you let them.” What an invitation by My Maker for me to take more seriously what He thinks about Matt, than what others may think. I find this book ministers to me every time I read it to Matt. Highly recommended for every child (and adult).

To see the Amazon webpage for this book click here

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I will get that book. Thanks for the review.
I will enjoy reading about Matthew and keeping up with him.
Don't you love blogs and how they have connected us!
Kelly

Cindy said...

Great analogy! Thanks for the book review, I'm going to check it out. Matt is special!