Thursday, August 7, 2008

Gecko

Up until this week all Matt’s food had to pureed, with the exception of Simba Puffs and the occasional ginger biscuit. This week all has changed and it started with a gecko. On Tuesday I arrived home from work and Matt’s babysitter told me how she found him chewing on a gecko. Horror! She hastily removed it from his mouth to find that it was alive!! Double horror!




Later that day Matt begged for a bite of my sandwich. I knew his tummy was empty so if he vomited it wouldn’t be disaster. So hesitantly I let him have a bite. You could have knocked me over with a feather, as I watched him chew and swallow the bread, without gagging or vomiting. And then ask for another bite!








This has opened up a whole world of non-pureed food for Matt. Since Tuesday he has enjoyed some strawberry flavoured Rice Crispies and some butternut squash (cubed, not pureed!!!).
I am astounded.

It seems like this change has happened overnight. I am grateful to our Speech Therapist with all the advice and help she has given to help diminish Matt’s overactive gag reflex. It also seems as though something in Matt’s understanding has clicked – he now gets that he can eat things and chew things.

So my advice to all parents who have kids with feeding problems - just let them chew on a gecko and all problems will be solved. (JOKES)

7 comments:

Anxious AF said...

Did he have the head in his mouth?!?!?!?!
I laughed out loud, but then though of all the bad things that could have happened, getting bit being at the top of the list.

Way to go Matt!!!!! I will read Alex your new accomplishment and Im sure he will want to follow in your steps!

Sysser said...

I am sooo proud of my grandson .. knew he had it in him [not the gecko ... haha] ... just watch this space :-)

Cindy said...

That is hilarious! I'm so happy for you and for Matt. This is a major milestone for him, and I'm sure it gives you encouragement for the road ahead. Just remember this in the future when it seems like you're working on a skill FOREVER with him...he will get it eventually!

Kelly said...

Can you send Max a Gecko? That is so awesome!!!! Go Matt!

Valerie said...

:-D What happy news! Not sure what the gecko thought of the situation, but it's great that Matt is wanting to sample more foods! And strawberry rice krispies? mmm. :-)

Way to go, Matt!

bridge said...

What fun, now you can enjoy trying to find all sorts of things he may like - happy shopping!

Terri H-E said...

What a perfect example of letting your fella call the shots. If he had to chew on wildlife to get the message across that he's ready for a sandwich, well, it worked, didn't it? Congratulations, you must be absolutely effervescent thinking of possibilities now. I love those moments.